James M. “Jim” Prichard has written a very nice article, see the link below, regarding the Civil War actions in The Williams Creek Basin and nearby war actions. Jim details the important actions, the players, and their activities in the
WAR COMES TO WILLIAMS CREEK
By James M. Prichard At the outbreak of the Civil War, J. Bertrand Norris, an 18-year-old youth who resided with his parents near Star Furnace, began to add war-related events to his diary. He recounted patriotic speeches, recruiting for the Union
House At Princess Furnace Site
This is likely the first house built on the site of the iron producing Princess Furnace after it was shut down. The house sat at the base of the stone charging wall. The actual Princess Furnace previously sat in the
1863 – J Bertrand Norris Diary – Star Furnace KY
Note this a relatively long article that includes the 1863 transcribed diary in spreadsheet form with several columns. The article is likely best viewed on a computer, not with the tiny screen of a cell phone. Gathering information so one
Bates Family Reunion – Rush KY – Summer 1919
Note this a relatively long article that includes several images with detailed legends describing those in the images. The article’s photos will be best viewed on a computer, not with the tiny screen of a cell phone. In the summer
Three Coal Miners
The negative to produce the image below was found on the 2nd floor of a two story brick mining company store, at the mouth of Blackleg hollow, in 1954, by Harold Bates. This building sat on the west side of
Geigerville Elementary School – Grades 1 to 8, 1947 – 1948
Below is a very nice photo of the students at Geigerville School in the 1947 – 1948 school year. Geigerville is subcommunity of Rush KY. Rush KY straddled the Boyd County KY, Carter County KY line. Geigerville School was just
Star School – A Short History, And Photo Of 1947-1948 Class
The current brick structure “consolidated” elementary school at Star in Carter County was constructed and first used for the 1957-1958 school year. This brick structure has been expanded since 1958. This “consolidated” school replaced several smaller one room schools at
The Cemeteries Of The Williams Creek Basin: Map And Guide
There are about 54 cemeteries in the Williams Creek Basin. These cemeteries range in size from only one or two graves on family property, to about 1000 graves, as at Coalton Cemetery. This article explains and links to a map,
Geigerville, The Incorporated City, (1874 – 1876)
Several years ago while slogging about in some historic documents that were digitized by Google, I discovered an act of the Kentucky Legislature approved 3 Feb 1874 incorporating the new Kentucky city of “Geigerville”.1874 KY Acts, p 212 This legislation